Charleville is in the heart of Queensland`s `mulga country`. It is the largest town in the south west of the Outback region and was gazetted in 1868 and later named by the Government surveyor of the day, Mr WA Tully, after a town in Ireland where he had lived.
In March 1888, rail transport reached Charleville. This railway gave Charleville a direct link with the state capital, Brisbane. This line still operates passenger services twice a week to Charleville on board Queensland Rail`s Westlander.
Cobb and Co, the famous coach company, based their largest coach making factory in Australia in the township of Charleville in 1890. The factory was moved to Charleville because the wood used in coaches made in factories closer to the coast would split and crack in the dry, dusty conditions of Western Queensland. On the subject of transport, Qantas scheduled its first fare paying passenger service from Charleville to Cloncurry, via Longreach and Winton, back in 1922.
The mulga country of Queensland`s outback is rich in history, flora and fauna. The Charleville Heritage Trail guides visitors through the history of the town and its heritage buildings. The stars almost touch the end of your nose at the Cosmos Centre and Observatory where clear nights and a low horizon combine to give visitors a great night time experience. Kangaroos, emus, birds of prey and a wondrous variety of Australian native wildlife can be seen whilst travelling this area. Visit the National Parks Research Station, home of the Save the Bilby Fund. Seasonal `meet the bilbies` tours are held at the station.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- Caravan and Camping
- Educational Tourism
- Fishing - Estuary
- Animal Viewing
- Charleville Swimming Pool
- Charleville - Yabby Races (supporting The Royal Flying Doctor Service)
- Charleville Pioneers Audio History Board
- Town Hall Photographic Display
- Charleville - 18 Mile Warrego River Fishing
- Charleville - Weather Station Tour
- Charleville - Bakers Bend Warrego River Fishing Spot
- Cosmos Centre And Observatory
- Charleville Audio Heritage Trails
- Charleville - Royal Flying Doctor Service Visitor Centre
- Charleville - 27 Mile Warrego River Fishing Spot
- Ward River 4x4 Stock Route Trail
- Charleville - Historic House Museum
- Charleville - Bilby Experience
- Charleville - World War Ii Top Secret United States Airbase History Convoy Tour
- Charleville Photographic Display
- Charleville - 10 Mile Warrego River Fishing Spot
- Charleville Heritage Trail Walk
- Hotel Corones
- Charleville Self-drive Itineraries